A few years back, I read Julia Cameron’s book, The Artist’s Way, A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity and started a habit of what she calls “Morning Pages.” Her suggestion is to get up early each day and write three pages of longhand, stream-of-consciousness morning writing. To help you be a better artist, she asks that you use these pages to rest, to dream and to try.
I have to say, making a commitment to this habit has been nothing less than life changing for me. I sincerely believe all the research on journaling and have even experienced some of these incredible benefits:
- Improves immune function. Expressive writing can strengthen your immunity and decrease your risk of illness. It’s even been reported to help wounds heal faster.
- Reduces stress. Journaling can make it easier to unwind, and feel more optimistic.
- Keeps memory sharp. It helps your brain function at its best, improves memory and comprehension.
- Boosts mood. It gives you a greater sense of emotional well being and happiness.
- Unlocks and engages right-brained thinking. This can bring better balance to your life, spark innovation and enhance problem solving.
You might want to give it a try. Just think about setting aside a time and place to start your journal. Give a voice to your dreams and aspirations and a safe space for all your hurts and disappointments. It’s very powerful.
Believe it or not, as a result of this daily habit, my husband and I started our whimsical stationery line, Hooray For The Underdog!, that celebrates and supports rescue animals.