We all want to be seen, heard, loved and respected. What better way to express that to someone you care about, than through a sincere thank you note. In a world filled with texts and emails, I just love getting something handwritten in the mail. And I believe, most of the people in my life feel the same way. I was asked, how I go about writing a thank you note. Here are a few thoughts.
First thing I think about is the person I’m writing to, and pick out a card based on what they like. For me, as co-creator of Hooray For The Underdog!, it usually involves whether they’re a cat or dog person. Do they like big or little dogs? Are they into bright colors? Or do they like black and white?
Once I’ve picked the card, I start with a short opening sentence, that says thank you, without actually using those words.
- I’m so grateful to you!
- Nothing makes me happier than having lunch with you!
- You are, by far, the best at choosing the perfect gift for me!
Then I add another sentence or two about the gift (or what they’ve done) and why I love it so much.
- How did you know that I’m such a fan of Pink Peonies? I have loved them all my life.
- The grilled cheese sandwiches at Toulouse are to die for!
- I can’t think of anything that I like better than beautifully scented candles.
I usually close with another “Thank you.” and something that lets that person know how important they are to me.
- Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You’re the best friend I could ever hope for!
- You have such an exceptional gift for making me feel loved and special.
Don’t forget to review your spelling and grammar and be extra careful to spell his/her name correctly. I always write everything out on a scratch pad first. This may seem like it takes too much extra time, but it saves me from crossing stuff out on the actual card.
In the end, I concentrate on writing something sincere and straight from my heart. When it comes to thank you notes, honesty and a real effort to show your appreciation is all you really need.